Saturday, April 7, 2007

Bike and Run LT Testing

I did my final testing of the week and I'm not sure how much testing I will do after this. I have a couple of races that I think I will be jumping into and those will replace most of my testing. But yesterday was a double test. Now normally you would never do 2 tests on the same day. You just wouldn't have enough time to recover. But these were lab tests. Lab tests are so much easier than field tests. With a field test you are pretty much going to failure. In the Lab as soon as you body hits a certain point you are done. For LT testing this is done by measuring the lactate in your blood at certain points.
Since I hadn't done much in the way or running hard and have done no field tests in running yet, we decided I would do that one first. Also, this was likely to be the harder effort. I had stated that when I am fit, I "felt" that my LT HR was about 181-183. As a matter of fact I had 183 in my traning peaks setup page as my run LT. This was based mostly off of feel and maybe some other races I had done. Basically the test starts by taking an initial reading to make sure I don't have lactate already in me. My number was good (~1.0). The number we were looking for was 4.0 mmol/L. So I started with 10 minutes of warming up. The test was basically to increase the speed every 3 minutes, taking a drop of blood at the end of the 3 minutes before bumping up the speed. I had to quickly straddle the treadmill and put out my hand. Alcohol wipe, dry, prick, wipe the first drop, put the second drop on the tab, and then jump back on the treadmill. The goal was to do those steps in ~15 seconds. It was no problem, although my fingers are sore today from all of the pin pricks.
We started at 8.4 mph and went up from there. We hit 4.1 mmol/L at 9.9 mph. Done. Only took 20 minutes of running. Turns out my HR at 4.1 was exactly 183. Cool, I really do know my body pretty well. Of course with me not being in running shape I figured my speed/pace would be pretty slow. Turns out that is not the case. My LT pace is about 6:07 mpm. I was pretty surprised by this given that I have done a total of 2 LT workouts in the past 3-4 months. My guess is that this number goes under 6 by race day. I think I am going to jump into the Broad Street 10 miler. I really want to know what I can do. Of course the other thing is that I'm probably going to need to start pushing a little bit more on my running. My paces have probably been slower than they should be. But for LT workouts I go almost solely by HR anyway. Too many variables when it comes to running outside.
The bike test wasn't as helpful. I think the problem was that I was not quite recovered enough. My lactate level was pretty high even at the start. It then dipped down, but shot back up quickly. So I don't have as much faith in that number. But I do think the LT HR on the bike was good.

2 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I'm doing the Broad Street Run for to *force* me to get my game on with my running! Oh, and I've heard it's a well organized and affordable little jaunt in Philly. That, too. ;)

Hope the new baby continues to be healthy and happy!

Anonymous said...

Under 6:00 LT-pace? Yikes! I don't think I'll be able to hang on for an hour brick run if you pick up the pace any!

I'd like to try the Broad Street Run too, but I don't think I can fit it in. Hope the training is going well.