Well the base is winding down. Pretty pshyced that even though I had several colds this winter (2 year old, newborn and life in general are the culprits) I feel like I have a really good base. I have already knocked out my main goals for base.
- Get to 275 Watts. I'm at 280 now
- Get under 173. I'm at 167 with 11% bodyfat
- Squat 275. Done that and more...without any real injuries.
Now I have to work on my goals for the build. Most of these involve getting back to some simplier things, but also some pure number goals as well.
- Get body weight under 165 and 10% bodyfat
- Get Power to weight ratio up to 3.9. Would love to see 4.0, but I think this is a little out of reach. I will need to watch out for weight getting to low and leading to a drop in power
- Really focus on the diet. Paleo has been going okay, but I can do better.
- LT run pace down to 6:05. Again, so close to that magical 6 minutes number, but I just think it would be too much of a sport specific stretch that is not needed for Ironman.
So on to todays tempo run. I've not been doing too much running as it is my strength, but I need to get back to it now. I had a 90 minute run today that included some tempo portions. The quote on the chalkboard yesterday at the bike session was "Bite off more than you can chew, and then chew it". With this in mind I was looking forward to this one. So the workout called for 3-4 x 6 minutes in zone 3 with 2 minute recoveries. With the above quote in mind, I opted for 4x 1 mile in zone 3 with 2 minute recoveries. I figured that zone 3 would be about 6:30 pace as I have done no real hard efforts in quite some time. Now the warmup felt good, and the weather was perfect for this kind of run. There was also a nice 1.3 mile loop that is marked every .1 miles near my office, so I figured I would give it a go there. 1st mile was 6:23 and right in the middle of zone 3. Felt pretty good. The one thing I tried though was to push the 2 minute recovery a little and try to cover the .3 miles back to the start. This didn't work to well as it is all uphill. So after the second repeat, I just jogged around the mile mark for 2 minutes. 2nd mile was 6:27 after not recoverying enough. The last 2 though I hit them pretty hard. 6:17 and then 6:07. The 6:07 was exactly one beat over zone 3. I'll take it. Given that my legs were feeling pretty heavy after the last 2 hard bike sessions, I think this went much better than expected. I'm looking forward to improvement with my running and I'm glad to see that my low run volume hasn't killed my ability to run well.
I'm still up in the air about jumping into the broad street 10 mile the first week in May. It would be a great test of my LT pace, but I just don't want to push too hard on an effort that isn't specific to my end goals. I will have to ponder this one further.
later,
Dave
2 comments:
Nice work, and nice pace! I appreciate your comment on my blog; I too am starting to flirt with LT pace and so I feel like you and I following a similar timeline this year.
I have a brutal speed workout tonight with a number of LT pieces... Your entry may have just motivated me to get closer to 6's ;-)
Glad to hear you're doing some hard 1-mile efforts in Wilson Park! I feel so damn slow when I read your blog! Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment