Well not that things have settled down at all, in fact it got a little more crazy over the last week. Mateo is doing well, although of course he doesn't sleep much. Helen, who normally really values her sleep, is doing really well though. Ben unfortunetly had a pretty bad cold that turned into "Croup" last Saturday. We had spent the morning at the aquirium (Just dad and Ben) and that night he woke up and couldn't breath at all. We had to take him to the ER and they gave him some medicine. Since then he has been getting steadily better. He certainly is making strides in the area of communication. He has very interesting conversations (with himself as well as us) and is learning more and more words and phrases.
My cutback week ended up not having any real tests except one as I was sick. But I did do a final Power test for the Cadence bike class. I was really happy with the numbers. I think I could have done even better if I hadn't been under the weather. My FP is now 279, which checks off one of my objectives to get to 275. I now am going to modify the goal and shoot for 290 (which of course is so close to 300...but we will see). Also this is all happening with my weight coming down slowly, but steadily. My Power/Weight ratio is now 3.45, so I am pretty happy about that.
The other big thing I am tackling this week is my diet. I have decided that I really want to focus on this as I have also done "so-so" in this area. I usually eat realatively healthy, but probably eat too much bad fat. I have also wanted to cut out grains, etc. To this end I am giving the Paleo Diet a 1 month try. I started on 3/14. Basically I have to cut out dairy (not that hard for me...don't do that too much), breads, potatoes, rice, beans, sugar and some other things. Basically good lean meats, and all the fruits and vegtables you want. I am going to follow the Diet with some slight modifications though. The book Paleo Diet for Athletes allows for high GI (Glycemic Index foods) foods (potatoes, rice, etc) after workouts as part of the recovery process. I expect this will be tough for me at first (there is usually a temporary loss of energy), but I plan to stick to it for 1 month. Fortunetly they do play by the 95:5 rule, which says that 5% of your meals can be "cheat" meals (ie whatever you want). I would really like to get to single digits in terms of bodyfat and overall I agree with most of the research behind this diet. I also like that they have modified it for endurance athletes. One of the hard things is simply getting in enough calories. When you eat 2 cups of vegtables, you get full, but there just isn't much in the way of calories. And of course calories is energy.
Hopefully I will get back to some normal training. This week is going okay so far. Both of my swims this week have been less than stellar, but I did a hard weights session on Tuesday and it after skipping weights last week, I'm sore.
Dave
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is great info to know.
Post a Comment