Last week ended up pretty good. The plan was for a total of 15 hours and I was about an hour short of that. I moved my Sunday long-ish brick (2.5 hour ride 1 hour run) to Friday instead. This was to free up some family time on Sunday as well as do a swim class that Cadence is offering. The swim class didn't involve much swimming as it was the first class. Next week is a 400 yrd time trail. Hmmm...haven't tried to race a 400 yet, I'll have to think about a goal pace. It appears that I am one of the stronger swimmers there, but I'm in this to work on my form, not fitness.
So Friday I had my morning indoor bike training class at Cadence. I decided that I would ride another 90 minutes after the class and then do an hour run. It went pretty well, atlhough I was definetly tired aftewards. The run was also freezing cold (I think it was single digits...without the wind chill), but I got it done. Forgot my gloves, so I had to tuck the hands into my sweatshirt. No problem. Finished about 10 AM and then worked from home. Spent the day fueling as well. Then up at 5:30 on Saturday to join Guys Bike shop folks for an indoor 3 hour training ride. This was a lot of fun and I really liked it. During the 45 minute drive there I was debating this as it is a long way to drive for a 3 hour ride. Don't know if I will do this again, but it was nice. The person leading the class had a bag with different 10 minute segments in it. Everybody picked one out and that is what we did for the next 10 minutes. It would usually be something like 5% grade zone 2-3 for 8 minutes with 2 minutes recovery. It was never anything hard (we stayed in 2-3 most of the ride), but it was good to pass the time this way. I think I will have to do that for all of my indoor rides.
So flash forward to this week. I have 17:00 on the plan (holy crap this is a part time job)! Thank god next week is a cutback week. The tough part of this week is the Tues/Wed combo. It might not be known, but due to life (work, family, etc), I do almost all of my workouts in the morning during the work week (and weekends for that matter). This means that if the coach says do a 1:30 brick workout and a n hour swim, these are both done in the morning before work. So after working late-ish yesterday (nothing compared to my summer work hours) I got to bed by 10:15 PM and was up at 4:30. Usually I would swim and then do the brick, but I thought I would mix it up today as sometimes that pool can be crowded at 5:00 AM (yes, you read that right). So I did the 75 bike 15 min run first (actually went 16 minutes on the run, for 2 miles exactly) and then I changed and got in the pool. Did 6x500 with 250 warmup and cooldown for 3500 yards total. Took 40 seconds between 500's. This felt good, but with the ride/run before hand the calves started cramping a bit. I really need to get my calf cramping issues figured out. I know part of it is just inflexible ankles that have built up over years of running, but my swim volume is up over 3 hours a week now and I figured these would eventually go away. Grant it, it only happens on harder/longer swims or after a ride/run now, but still. In tri's I almost always get a calf cramp. I wonder if it has anything to do with the wetsuit?!?!
Well I have to get back to work. A 3:30 ride this Saturday. Need to see if I can make this happen outside??? Not looking forward to 3 1/2 hours on an indoor trainer.
later,
Dave
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment