Saturday, January 6, 2007

Day 1 of the Blog, but not Day 1 of training

Well I have finally gotten around to setting this up!

I am in the midst of training for the Lake Placid Ironman 2007. This Ironman event occurs 7/22/2007. Check out some other information at Iroman Lake Placid 2007 site. This also has a link to a couple of other blogs. You can also see my specific training plan/workouts here.

Some background:
I am a father of 1+ (one on the way, due 3/1/2007). I have been mostly a runner and have been doing that since a very early age. A couple of years back my wife and I actually vacationed at Lake Placid during the Ironman event. We didn't know it at the time though. We arrived on the day of the race and I actually was doing a run on the treadmill in the workout room of our hotel and they had a Ironman race on closed caption. I didn't realize until the next day that this race was taking place right down the street. The next day I went out and did a run on the course and loved the area. That was probably the first time I started thinking about doing triathlons. Although I never considered doing a full Ironman. But last year I did a 1/2 Ironman and it turned out okay. So after talking with the Wife to make sure that she understood what this involved WE agreed that I should go for it.

I am someone who loves to workout. I don't even know that I can explain the reasons why. I am not necessarily someone who loves to be "by myself". I am not super competitive. I am not obsessed about my weight or appearance (if you have seen me you would know this is true). I think I just really enjoy being fit and the discipline involved. It is funny that some people think this is a way to get away from it all. Like the everyday hustle and bustle, family obligations, chores, work, etc. But for me it is almost the complete opposite. I tend to spend this time thinking about anything and everything. Mostly it is about my wife, son, family and friends. Especially those that are hurting or going through a tough time. But often it is just random stuff, which I am sure you will pick up on as the posts show up.

No comments: