Thursday, January 25, 2007

Another Big Weekend Planned

Well this weekend I'm hoping to get in some higher volume again. Last time I tried this I came down with a cold, but I am hopeful this time works out better. I'm not feeling overtrained or overtired at this point, so I think things will work out. I have signed up for a Tri Swim class through Cadence that starts on Sunday. I'm really just looking for someone to take a look at form and maybe help out with some things and also to get some more structed swim training in. I think the bonus will be that I'm going to try to move around some training so that I go longer on Friday and Saturday and then on Sunday I can just do the swim and maybe a short bike ride. This will hopefully free up some time for family. I know that the higher volume weeks are coming so if this change works out I think it will really help.
My plan for this week is around 15 hours total. This includes a 3 hour ride and a 2.5 hour ride with a one hour run afterwards. On Saturday I'm doing a indoor 3 hour trainer endurance ride at FitLife with the Guys group. It should be interesting and hopefully fun. I had two really good swim sessions so far this week as well. I did a 1 hour straigt swim (just over 2 miles) on Tuesday and today I did 3400 yards with many 300's in there. Also, I did a 1000 yard time trail on Saturday which went well. This was basically I warmup, followed by some hard-ish 50's and then a 1000 yard all out swim. It seems everytime I do these I end up having to share a lane with someone, which makes this harder. But I did it anyway and was able to push pretty hard and felt it was fairly accurate. I think had nobody been near me I could have gone just a little faster. For the 1000 I was able to do 14:30 which came out to about 1:26-1:27 for my per 100 yard avg. This was an improvement over my 1:30 avg I had a couple months back. I'm really starting to gain some confidence with my swimming, both in terms of speed, form and endurance. Maybe I won't be in the bottom 10% at IMLP in the swim!
I was able to hit the weights a couple of time last week and this week as well. Feeling pretty strong, but as the training volume is raising, these will become more maintance sessions and less max strength. I'm pretty close to my goals for leg strength anyway, so this is a good time to start making sure I don't over do it. One thing I have realized is that when I want to go heavy (ie heavy weight for less reps) I am better off doing this on a Hammer strength or machine as opposed to free weights. I have a habit of "tweaking" things when I do free weights with heavy weight.
I also did something other than just an easy, short run this week. I actually did 6x3 minute hill repeats on the treadmill. They were at 5.0% grade and 7.0 mph (8:34 pace) with 2 minutes recovery. It was 8 miles total. I definetly am missing some run fitness, but the foot is okay. It bothered me a little during the run itself, but didn't hurt throughout the day or the next day, which was happening before. So I'll probably try a 10 miler next week and see how it goes.
I'm also going to reserve my race wheels for Mooseman and IMLP this week I think. I used RaceDayWheels.com last time and this worked out well. I'm probably going with Zipp 808 tubulars. Also, speaking of the bike I have the ultegra front derailleur up and running, although i'm "trimming" more than I would like. I need to get the rear derailleur on this weekend and do some general maintenance (clean chain, lube, etc).
I think next week will probably end up being my highest volume week ever. The cool part so far is that the volume is not killing as much as I thought. It's mostly the last of sleep, work, getting sick, etc that is getting to me. I did a 2.5 hour workout on Tuesday and was really not the wiped all day long. It helps, I think that I am moving my bigger meals to earlier in the day (big breakfast...semi big lunch and lighter dinner).

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Sounds like your training is coming along really well.

FYI...if you are rocking 14:30 for a 1000 you will place very well in the swim at IMLP.