Monday, February 19, 2007

Long weekend, still no baby and Ice bath

Between now and 5 PM I have exactly one hour total free (2 1/2 hour blocks) when I am not in meetings. Of course that is when I have to get some actual work done. A good weekend for the workouts though. Saturday was a 3 and 1 brick (4 hours total) with the 1 hour run done at under 8 minute pace. The run felt good and I think my running form is returning quickly. My bike was also pretty good. I mixed it up a bit and had 10 minute blocks of something different most of the way (different cadences, wattages, standing, sitting, etc). Avg for the ride was 169 Watts. The legs definetly felt it towards the end as I was pushing a little harder, but the run felt smooth and easy. Sunday I went long on the run. 2+ hours and ~15 miles. This was probably a little longer than I should have gone, but the foot had no real issues and feels good today, so I am saying that I am officially over my foot injury issue. That being said I probably won't go longer than 15 for a while. There really is no need at this point in the season. My legs definetly feel tired and beat up a little today as I used muscles I havent' used in a while. I did unfortunetly skip my swim workout in the afternoon as there was just too much that needed to get done around the house and I was pretty beat from the run. But it was still 6+ hours of workouts this weekend. Next weekend is looking tough. A 4 hour brick on Saturday followed by a 1 hour swim and 3.5 hour bike ride on Sunday....Mommy! I really hope I can do at least one of thouse rides outside as the trainer can be pretty boring.
After my 4 hour brick on Saturday I had the perfect recovery. Within minutes of finishing I had a recovery drink with some OJ, banana and protein. I then took a bucket of ice upstrairs, filled the bath with nothing but cold water, dumped the ice in and then sat in the bath for 10 minutes. I do this with my shorts and socks still on. In the summer the water doesn't get cold enough for the ice to not melt. But on Sat the ice never melted. I expected I might only last 5 minutes, but I made it the entire 10 without too much trouble. I highly recommend these after hard workouts, especially after long runs. They really help with the recovery and I usually feel much better the next day.

later,
Dave

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Any baby yet?

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Brrrr...Even the *description* of the ice bath makes me shiver!

Your training is going so great! Congrats on a hard week.