Monday, January 15, 2007

Getting Sick Sucks!

Well for the second time this year I came down with an illness. On Friday I felt okay after my workout, but I was definetly a little tired overall. Then at work I started just feeling more and more under the weather as the day went on. I ended up staying later than I wanted to and by late afternoon my throat was getting noticibly sore. I could kind of seeing it coming. I like to think that this was not due to overtraining. But I did have 10.5 hours in by Friday, so that definetly contributed. So instead of getting in a great 16 hour week last week going into a recovery week, I got in 10.5 hours in 5 days and did nothing over the weekend. I could have probably ridden a little bit on either or both days, but decided against it and figured I would try (note I said try) to help out around the house.

For the past year or so I have tried to prove to myself that I am not a typical guy when it comes to getting sick. Almost every guy I know is useless when they are sick, and I am definetly in that category. My wife who is pregnant and has been sick a couple of times already is more productive when she is sick than I am when I am rested and healthy. But I have been trying to just say "Suck it up and deal, Dave". But this weekend I didn't do so well. I really should have tried to do at least a little something on Sunday. On Sunday I was taking no medicine for the symptoms and really didn't feel that bad, just a slight sore throat and congestion.

I have always heard that if you have a illness that only bothers you above the neck (head cold), that you can workout, albeit less intense. But the sore throat I had was telling me that my body was still working pretty hard to get rid of it. So I did the Zicam/Airborne and just rested. This mornings ride was definetly still affected by the cold, but it was pretty good.

One question I am wrestling with is how to treat weeks where I take time off due to being sick. Do I treat these at unplanned cutback weeks, meaning that I start a 3 week buildup again after this week? Do I just stick to the laid out plan and if that week was supposed to be a big week and did not end up being big due to being sick, so be it? For example, last week was supposed to be a big week with high volume and this week was supposed to be a cut back week. But since I was sick last week and did less than planned, should I take this week as a cut back week as well? Might shoot off an email to one of the Cadence coaches.

Oh well, enough complaining. I expect I am going to get back on track here this week.

Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - It's a pleasure finding yours as well.

As it turns out, I'm battling a cold myself. I think I caught it from you ;-)

The way I look at colds: bonus rest time. You need to let your body heal itself 100% before jumping back into it full-steam. I always say to myself "a few days of nothing now, or a whole lotta days of mediocre workouts otherwise"

Feel better soon!

Jeremy said...

Dave,

Just found your blog through Joe's. Congrats on setting one up. Looking forward to following your IMLP journey.

Get some rest and feel better.