Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Recovery Week and No Excuses

I am in the midst of a recovery week. I had asked some of the coaches at trainingpeaks and also did some research and basically learned that even though I was sick last week and had sort of a cut back week, this does not count as my actual cutback week. So this week is slightly less volume as well. I will though make one of the weekend rides a little longer just to get back the feel of things. But the hours this week will likely be around 8-10 hours total. I did do a pretty hard lifting session for the legs yesterday at the gym though. It felt good and I can definetly tell that I am getting stronger. Squats and Leg presses are both up in terms of the weight I am using. This will hopefully really help out my power. I would love to see 260-270 at my next FT test (my first one was 250 back in December).

I realized an interesting thing about tri-ing yesterday when I got to the gym. I had got into the locker room and was planning on doing a swim. But I realized I forgot my swim bag in the car. No problem, I can just walk the 200 feet back to the car and get it. Or I could just change things up and do something different. So instead of a swim and lift session yesterday, I did a 8 mile run and lift session. As I was running I was thinking that all of the different forms of exercise tri folks do, it is really hard to have an excuse that you can't do something. With marathon training, there is only so much "cross training" you can do, eventually you have to run. But with tri-ing, if you shoulder hurts, you bike, if your foot hurts, you swim, if your back hurts, you stretch and do yoga or some lifting. If you forget your shoes, you swim. Forget your googles, do some lifting, biking, or running. So my point is that it is really hard to find an excuse to not train with tri training. My foot has been not 100% ever since I did the Baltimore marathon, so I have had to really cut back my running, to probably only about 10 miles a week for the last 3 months. But I have still been able to put in up to 10-13 hours a week of training without much problem. I love this sport!

Keep on tri-ing.

Dave

1 comment:

TriShannon said...

Hi Dave... thanks for coming by my blog. Sounds like you are feeling better. I have been an OCD hand washer lately in attempts to avoid everyhting that is going around.

I look forward to following your journey to Lake Placid.